Happy Thanksgiving 2017 !!!

Thanksgiving Day gives us all an opportunity give thanks for the many blessings in our lives.

Here at Beach Bash one of the things we are giving thanks for is the recent return from a scary hospitalization of integral BBB Team member and co-organizer, Jonathan Roberts.

He went to the hospital complaining of pain and swelling in his elbow. The doctors then performed surgery on his left arm and felt they had caught the infection before it had spread to the rest of his body. However, we have noticed a personality change in him since his return and some bizarre behavior (culminating with the disturbing disappearance of the Beach Bash rescue turkey while he was babysitting it) that leads us to believe a follow up MRI of his brain’s frontal lobe (which helps govern personality and impulsivity) to see if he still has one, might not be a bad idea.

The official diagnosis was infection of the bursa of the elbow. Elbow bursitis can occur for a number of reasons some of which are listed below.

  • A hard blow to the tip of the elbow can cause the bursa to produce excess fluid and swell, this often happens due to a slip and fall. Jonathan has no recollection of falling over however this scenario could not be written off since he is known to black out after celebrating enthusiastically
  • Prolonged pressure on the tip of the elbow for long periods of time. People in certain occupations are especially vulnerable, particularly plumbers or heating and air conditioning technicians who have to crawl on their knees in tight spaces and lean on their elbows. Jonathan has certainly been known to crawl on his hands and knees (mainly, he says, during lessons when checking student’s footwork) but has no recollection of doing that recently…which of course does not mean it has not been happening.
  • If an injury at the tip of the elbow breaks the skin, such as an insect bite, scrape, or puncture wound, bacteria may get inside the bursa sac and cause an infection. Jonathan did have a scrape on his left elbow (possibly due he said to chaffing of the straps on his indoor swing set), so this was determined to be the most likely cause in his case.
  • Occasionally, the bursa sac may become infected without an obvious injury to the skin (as sounds like happened to good friend LeRoy Walters who we are also very, very happy to say is fully recovering (unlike Jonathan).

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comments are closed.